Friday, January 12, 2024

The Wonder of Out-of-Copyright Literature

The cover of the copy of Dracula I got from the Archive.

As a writer and a reader, I need a good source of things to read at all times. As I get older, I find myself with a growing desire to read the old classics, and it's easier than ever in history to do it. One thing I've been doing a lot recently is finding old gems over on the Internet Archive. You can find all kinds of out-of-copyright literature over there--great old books scanned in and ready for you to read.

 I've enjoyed putting in the names of old authors and classic books and seeing what's available. It turns out that for books that are old enough, there's a fairly good chance of finding a nice PDF or two that is actually easy and pleasant to read on a screen.

Some of my favorite examples so far:

Dracula, by Bram Stoker

The Phantom of the Opera, by Gaston Leroux

Don Quixote, by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
Volumes 1 and 2

Moby Dick, by Herman Melville

You can, of course, find all of the classics in nonfiction, there, too.

Just as an example: Aristotle's Politics

Sometimes you have to hunt for a while to get a good scan or find volume N of some multi-volume work, but it's a small effort to build a good personal library.

Go look around there and try to get downloadable copies whenever you can! Archive your media locally so that it can't be taken away from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment