Thursday, April 18, 2024

A New(-ish) way to Plug


I've been reading a bit recently about marketing and all that jazz, and I came up with an idea that I'm sure has been done before, but I hadn't thought to try myself until just last weekend.

Yes, I'm still editing the novel, but bear with me:

One of the principles of marketing is that you don't necessarily just throw "buy it now" links at people. Maybe if you're offering something they need to solve an immediate problem. 

For something like fiction, which doesn't solve any immediate, pressing problem, it's way better to try and engage your audience and help them have fun with stuff before they buy.

So, I'm working on a series of short videos to lead people in the direction of some of my stories--free stuff as well as paid stuff.

I discovered that I can use some really basic video editing software and key frames to make some rudimentary animations, and then put some voice-over of a particularly fun or interesting part of the story over the animation.

Seems fun, and a good way to build a new skill, so I'm working on it. My goal is to keep the videos under 90 seconds, so that they can go up not just on YouTube, but on Twitter, too.

To start, I'm making them for the following stories:

  1. Welcome to the Horne
  2. Mendala
  3. Old Forests and Older Things Within
  4. The PAEAN Project
  5. Outopos
  6. The Fifth
  7. The Broken Home
  8. No Ticket
I chose all free stories to start because I figured it would be easier to bring people toward those at first. Maybe I'll make some for my paid stories too, eventually. 

I'm hoping I'll have some of them up in the next week or so. I'll post links when I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment