Wednesday, October 26, 2022

I Guess I'm Back!

 My last post here was back in 2014, and I guess I'll just give a little background.  Around then, I was finishing up my Ph. D. in physics, or at least trying to, and things were bleak.  So I had spent some time writing to help deal with the bleakness.

By the end of 2014, it became clear that yes, I was actually going to graduate, and so I threw myself into writing my dissertation and didn't really have time to do fiction works anymore.  I finished my Ph. D. in the spring of 2015 and got a job in the fall as a real, no-kidding professional scientist.

This brings us to today.  If you look at my Blogger name (or whatever it's called), "Liberty's Advocate," you might guess I'm a freedom-loving guy.  So working as a professional scientist was fun, but it was also working (essentially) for the government (technically I was a contractor), and I didn't want to do that forever.

Then 2020 happened and it became clear that the government would do horrible things to us, seemingly for kicks and giggles.  I spent 2020 and 2021 becoming even more certain that I needed to get away from serving the government.  By the end of 2021, it looked like they were going to demand I give up my medical privacy to keep my job, and I declared my intentions to leave before that became mandatory.

It turned out that it didn't become mandatory.  The drop-dead date got pushed back a couple of times, then disappeared.  But I was already moving along this path.

So, as of the start of October 2022, they found a replacement for me and, after helping to train him on the experiment I was working on, I'm out and I'm going to be working on writing up a bunch of projects I've been building up and sitting on while I had a full-time job.  So anyone who might happen to read this blog can expect to see new pieces start appearing.

Sorry for the lengthy re-introduction, but it looks like I'm back in the fiction-writing game!  I'll be doing some non-fiction too, but I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment