I’ve heard the name Poul Anderson here and there, and often in a positive light, yet I don’t think I’ve ever read anything from him, up until last week!
I was having a heck of a time looking at all the books he wrote, and how they were often out of order or intertwined, and I came up with an alternative solution:
A Short Story Sampler!
I sauntered on over to the Internet Archive and found eight issues of Astounding Science Fiction from between 1947 and 1950, each with a Poul Anderson short story.
The lion’s share of the stories were quite pessimistic, which was making me wonder whether all of them were like that. I’m not a huge fan of pessimistic science fiction, but in this case Anderson kept me interested by considering a large variety of fascinating science fiction ideas, and having very unique perspectives on many of them.
Then, I reached the seventh story on my list and found the pessimism largely dissipated. The last two were much more positive, and now I’m wondering whether I witnessed a metamorphosis or a fluke. Long story short, I’ll have to read more.
The prose in the stories is reasonably good but nothing special in general. Anderson keeps his language fairly simple and straightforward most of the time, but every once in a while we get a clever turn of phrase, and his descriptions of scientific procedures and thinking are quite detailed and plausible. He will occasionally float into some rather flowery or overly metaphorical language, but not so often that it was irritating.
After reading these stories, I’m convinced that the most important and notable element of his work is his treatment of many different science fiction ideas, some old and some new, in his writing, and his unique and sometimes counterintuitive perspectives on them. In these stories, we see his take on the effects of low-level radiation exposure; a race of aliens much like humans but with a deterministic view of history, and data to back it up; a strange energy-eating entity; an alternative formulation of the Galactic Patrol, very different from “Doc” Smith’s; the cancellation of entropy’s progress and therefore time for a living being; and a unique idea for an ultimate weapon.
Then, Anderson also plays with some societal ideas, like holding a country together after a war; the effects of widespread mutation on social cohesion; the “necessity” or perceived necessity of certain negative events; holding a diverse galaxy together in peace; alternative systems of morality; strange convergences of human societies; what mankind might look like without curiosity; wanderlust; and objects fundamentally necessary for some forms of authority to function.
While Anderson explores these ideas, he manages to avoid sounding preachy for the most part. I was often left wondering what his views were, in contrast to his characters’ views.
All in all, this was extremely good science fiction and definitely worth a read if you haven’t checked any of it out before. As usual, more spoilers in the video version.
For links to read each story for free on the Internet Archive, visit this link.
No comments:
Post a Comment